TCDC’s Community Outreach Program plays an essential part in fulfilling TCDC’s mission by extending our educational messages into the community through oral health education and screening in schools and other community-based settings, allowing children and families to gain the decision-making skills needed to make healthy life choices.
With this program, our overall goals are to:
1) identify dentally underserved communities with the highest need,
2) partner with organizations to provide oral health education to underserved children and adults to build their capacity to make informed decisions that support oral health, and
3) assist children and their parents/caregivers in accessing high quality services.
Our school-based activities are a unique collaboration of school nurses and teachers, parents, oral health professions students and TCDC staff. With each event children receive:
· an age-appropriate oral health educational presentation,
· educational take home flyers/brochures,
· an Oral hygiene kit (a toothbrush, toothpaste and floss if available), and
· a visual screening for dental disease (assuming parental permission).
All this comes at no cost to the host organization of the participants.
The message of the Community Outreach Program is also available through field trips at The Shannon Kelly Toothfairy Cottage.
If you are interested learning more about the program or scheduling an outreach event at your school, organization, or community-based setting, please contact our Outreach Team at email@example.com with the Subject Line “Outreach Event” or at 310-419-3000.